Ethos & Aims
It is important to us that every child should enjoy their years at Downsend within a strong academic and moral framework. Outstanding levels of pastoral care ensure that pupils develop a solid work ethic within a happy and fulfilling environment, promoting the adage ‘Inspiring Young Minds'.
Downsend is an established, academic preparatory school which is dynamic and contemporary. We provide each child with a broad education, through experiencing a vibrant school life that extends beyond the classroom, and provides outstanding academic development. We encourage our pupils to become well-rounded individuals in a modern society. Staff and children enjoy excellent relationships and pastoral care is of paramount importance.
Our aim is to ensure that Downsend offers our pupils a wealth of opportunities to develop their individual skills.
We achieve this by:
- Providing a welcoming and stimulating environment;
- Finding areas where each child can succeed and gain confidence;
- Offering excellent all-round education for examination success;
- Developing potential both inside and outside the classroom.
- Happy and well-motivated children;
- An impressive record of success at 13+ examinations;
- First-rate facilities for Sport, Music & Drama;
- Extensive ICT, Design and Food Technology provision;
- A large range of extra-curricular activities and extended day care;
- A dynamic holiday care programme outside normal term time, offering 50-week care to the children of working parents.