Design and Technology is about exploring how and why things work and from this creating something new. At Downsend, Design and Technology is an inspiring and practical subject preparing young minds to think through problems and create solutions in woods, plastics, electronics, fabrics and food. Children are taught in dedicated, modern teaching environments: a spacious workshop including a laser cutter, fret saws, hand tools and heat press; a textiles studio with sewing machines and a well-equipped food room.
Projects are designed to build on existing knowledge and skills, both traditional and contemporary, with strong reference to the core curriculum subjects. With focus on developing practical skills, children are encouraged to investigate materials and processes, develop ideas and create functioning or edible products with increasing independence, resilience and creativity.
Our aims are to
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Lower School, projects include:
- Food Technology: Hygiene and Eatwell Guide
- Textiles: developing dexterity & accuracy through hand embroidery
- Product Design: understanding of pneumatics
- Graphics: understanding of levers, linkages, sliders
- Product Design: investigating movement, axels
- Food: making pastry, seasonal fruits and vegetables; modifying recipes
- Textiles: fabric postcards, fabric manipulation, applique & sublimation printing, native American woven products
- Food: Eatwell Guide, emphasis on pupil design input and modification of a basic recipe
- Product Design: investigating structure
Our after-school clubs allow children to explore Design & Technology in more depth, extend their skills and interests.
After school clubs include Junior Product Design Clubs, Textiles Club, Cooking Clubs.
Head of Technology: Beth Day