The extra-curricular opportunities to enrich your child’s learning are literally endless at Downsend.
In line with our ‘stretch without stress’ approach, we also consider it important that pupils have the time to undertake enrichment or extra-curricular activities that enable that learning to come to life, and we believe this leads to stronger educational outcomes.
Our Stretch programme for Years 6 + is the very embodiment of this approach. Much of what makes children happy, confident and successful cannot be taught, so this programme is specifically designed to stretch and challenge all pupils in areas beyond the curriculum. It aims to:
• Foster curiosity, giving time and space for imaginations to have free reign;
• Encourage children to take on new experiences with enthusiasm;
• Develop essential skills for life – self confidence, leadership and resilience;
• Be fun! All Stretch activities are engaging and memorable, to stimulate the love of learning in every pupil.
Stretch options are wide ranging and varied – from Virtual Reality, to Downsend Masterchef; from French Film Club to Young Engineers (Robotics, Lego and Engineering); from Microscopy to Master Song Writers, from TED Talks to Orienteering – Fridays afternoons at Downsend are never dull, never one size fits all – and almost always inspiring!
This is a school where children can have it all and we encourage them to do so! We plan our school day meticulously with a balance of academic life enriched with extra-curricular activities at lunchtime and after school.
Our aim is to help children grow intellectually and socially but also to provide opportunities to discover hidden talents, progress a specific skill and to enjoy themselves whilst learning.
Aside from our excellent programme in the Creative Arts, we offer over 70 different clubs to ensure that every child from Nursery to GCSE has a chance to try something truly extraordinary!
A selection of our Extra-Curricular Activities and Clubs across school:
- Ball Skills
- Technology Club
- Forest School
Junior and Senior School
- Architecture: Explore the built environment through drawing, model making and Lego;
- Baking and Sugarcraft: Learn how to cook meringues, mould chocolate and make fondant figures;
- Chess: Take part in the UK Chess Challenge;
- Computer and Programming Club: Build on what you know and practice those skills;
- Maths Challenge: Hone your advanced problem-solving skills;
- Military History: Learn more about battles from times gone by;
- Nature Club: Arts, crafts and outdoor exploration;
- Electronics: Build your own models using simple kit;
- Pottery: Model making with air-dry clay;
- Public Speaking: Practice your presentation skills;
- Puzzle Challenge: Test your critical thinking
- Python Coding: Put your skills into action by creating your own wesbites and games;
- Plus Languages, Sports, the Creative Arts, Duke of Edinburgh Award and Residential Trips…