Design and Technology is about exploring how and why things work and from this creating something new. At Downsend, Design and Technology is an inspiring and practical subject which prepares young minds to think through problems and create solutions in woods, plastics, electronics, fabrics and food. Children are taught in dedicated, modern teaching environments: a spacious workshop including a laser cutter, fret saws, hand tools and heat press; a textiles studio with sewing machines and a well-equipped food room.
Projects are designed to build on existing knowledge and skills, both traditional and contemporary, with strong reference to the core curriculum subjects. With a focus on developing practical skills, children are encouraged to investigate materials and processes, develop ideas and create functioning or edible products with increasing independence, resilience and creativity.
Our aims are to
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently, participating successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Textiles: using Dazzle Camouflage as design inspiration, quilting modern materials
- Product Design: inspired by natural forms combining woods, electronics and fabric
- Graphics: designing for a client, developing CAD skills
- Product Design: CAD skills
- Product Design: incorporating the micro bit, team challenges
- Textiles: wearable electronics
- Food: Fairtrade, cultural influences
Our after-school clubs allow children to explore Design & Technology in more depth, extending their skills and interests, giving the opportunity to develop a portfolio of work to potentially be used for scholarship applications. A Technology Scholarship programme is available for pupils wishing to pursue Design & Technology or All Rounder Scholarships at Senior Schools.
After school clubs include Senior Product Design Clubs, Textiles Club, Cooking Clubs.
Head of Technology: Beth Day