Little Downsend Admissions Information
Age Groups at Little Downsend
Each Little Downsend is divided into the following year groups. Most pupils join us in First Steps and progress through the school, however we are delighted to consider applications for other year groups dependent upon the availability of places.
|First Steps||2 – 3|
|Rising Reception||3 – 4|
|Reception||4 – 5|
|Year 1||5 – 6|
Sessions at Little Downsend
All Little Downsend Schools require children in First Steps and Rising Reception to attend a minimum number of sessions per week in order to ensure they are well prepared to enter full time education when they enter their Reception year. We describe our sessions as:
- Mornings from 08:30am to 12noon
- Afternoons from 12noon to 3:30pm
We have a fixed session progression to ensure all our children are confident and ready to meet the demands of their next year group.
|Year Group||Age||Autumn term||Spring term||Summer term|
|First Steps||The academic year (Sept to Aug) your child turns 2||2 mornings||3 sessions||3 sessions|
|First Steps||The academic year (Sept to Aug) your child turns 3||4 sessions||4 sessions||5 sessions|
|Rising Reception||3-4||6 sessions||7 sessions||8 sessions|
- In Rising Reception, every child is expected to attend all Morning sessions with their additional sessions in the Afternoon.
- Our fixed session progression guidance ensures that all our children are prepared for full-time education when they reach Reception by gradually increasing their time spent in school.
- Children will not be required to step up sessions immediately following a birthday but can increase their sessions at the beginning of the next term. Our aim is for all families to follow the guidance, but we do understand that in some circumstances more flexibility may be required for individual children and families. Please make an appointment with Mrs Conlan to discuss the possibility of a more flexible arrangement should you need this.
- The progression guidance demonstrates a minimum expectation. Families are able to exceed the guidance if required in every year group.
Steps to Enrolment at Little Downsend
Choosing a Nursery school, or looking for a Reception or Year 1 place for your child can be challenging. Our Admissions Team works all year round to answer any questions you may have and to ensure that enrolling at Little Downsend is as easy as possible.
Make contact with us
We are available all year round and welcome an informal conversation about how we can support you in deciding which school is right for your child.
We would normally like to invite you to an Open Day, or one of our many celebration events. However, in light of the current situation, we are running personal, Covid-compliant, tours at each Little Downsend. If you would like to book a tour, please contact us to arrange a suitable time.
Register for a place
When you have finalised your decision we ask you to complete the Registration Form to our, along with a Registration fee.
The team will confirm receipt and will be in contact with next steps.
Steps to offer
At Little Downsend, we would normally like to invite children to our toddler groups to see how they settle into the environment. However, during the current situation, we will consider alternative options depending on each circumstance.
Our Admissions Team will then contact you with an offer of a place.
Confirm your child's place at Little Downsend
Our Admissions Team will send you the paperwork and deposit requirements in order to secure your child’s place.
Once confirmed, we would normally like children to have a settling in day, but we will continue to navigate the government guidelines and put appropriate plans in place to ensure your child is welcomed to Downsend before they start with us.