‘Sport to be played with an attacking mindset that excites those playing it. An ethos where we play to compete; where calculated risk-taking is rewarded and losing is not seen as a negative but something to learn from.’
We aim to provide wonderful sporting experiences and a wealth of opportunities for every child at Downsend. It is this focus on ‘Sport for All’ that saw Downsend nominated in the Independent Schools of the Year 2019 Awards.
Through dynamic and effective teaching and coaching, the ‘Sport for All’ focus is balanced with the provision of a range of activities delivered at the most appropriate level. Enjoyment, excellence, participation, teamwork and sportsmanship are key elements on offer as every child develops their talents in the different sporting arenas on the way to acquiring a love and appreciation of sport for the future.
All Downsend pupils take part in at least three hours of sporting activity per week, taught by specialist Sports staff. This is enhanced by further opportunities in additional sporting practices and match play, either after-school or at weekends.
Rugby, Football, Hockey, Netball, Cricket, Athletics, Rounders, and Swimming are all major sports at Downsend.
Additionally, the school offers the following sports in which pupils can enjoy competitions or recreational participation. This includes Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Biathlon, Tennis, and Gymnastics.
Pupils benefit from an outstanding range of indoor and outdoor sports facilities.
- Extensive football, rugby, rounders, and cricket pitches
- A 200m grass athletics track
- Four outdoor cricket nets
- All-weather Astro turf
- A hard playing surface allowing for 6 tennis courts and 4 netball courts
- A 25m indoor swimming pool
- Full-size sports hall with facilities for basketball, badminton, netball, 5-a-side football and 4 indoor cricket nets
- Sports pavilion, providing additional changing facilities, a café, and spectator areas.
Our full sports programme is complemented further with a number of opportunities for pupils to be involved in additional activities including:
- Ball Skills
- Saturday Morning Sports Club
- Tag Rugby
- Tag Rugby